Sonata – 5

Back to work on Sonata. In my original thoughts for the design I had several stitches that left open holes, like an Amadeus and crescents, and I decided to fill the holes with stitches to avoid open canvas. My first thought on filling the holes in the Amadeus stitches was a tear drop crescent, but that has a hole in it too. I modified the crescent to overstitch the hole, but decided I didn’t like the texture – too raised on the edges, and it just looked weird to me. I’ll probably further develop what I was working on for that stitch for later projects because I think there may have been promise for the stitch, it just didn’t suit what I wanted for this project.

So I kept the outside shape that I developed, but reworked the stitch. This is the result:

honeycomb stitch

The outside shape nicely fills the hole in the Amadeus, but is still fairly flat.

This is what it looks like stitched:

honecomb stitch Kreinik

I’ll show you what it looks like with the Amadeus around it later. For now, here’s a little bit about how I developed the stitch.

Working out a new stitch isn’t just about finding the shape and texture you want, you also have to make sense of the stitching of it. I like stitches that don’t require constantly looking back and forth at the diagram, so that stitching is easier. For this stitch, I had to make a couple of stabs at it before I worked out a reasonable stitching order, that would have the look I wanted.

For now I’m calling it a honeycomb stitch, but I’m not sure that’s the final name for it. It looks like lattice, but there are other lattice stitches and I want to avoid confusion in the naming of it. I’ll continue to give it some thought, to see what makes sense and is descriptive of the stitch.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.