When we lived in Arkansas our back yard was filled with trees. We loved the shade, but in the fall our back yard was filled with leaves. One year my husband weighed the leaves we took out – it was one ton! That’s 2000 pounds for those who don’t know. Anyway, we loved the change of seasons and the leaves that fell, and watched the squirrels scurry around hiding acorns.
Our November kit features oak leaves turning colors, with a couple of acorns attached. These leaves you won’t have to rake! The stitches go quickly and you’ll have a nice little spot of color for your fall decor.
The leaves are stitched with giant diagonal mosaic, diagonal mosaic, and brick stitch, and outline with chain stitch and stem stitch. The acorns are satin stitch over a wool felt ball, with French knots for the acorn caps.
The November kit includes a screen printed canvas, 8″ x 8″ Eggshell 18 ct. mono deluxe with taped edges; full skeins of ThreadworX Overdyed #8 Pearl Cotton in 810371 Rich Chocolate and 81044 Chili Peppers; ThreadworX Overdyed Cotton Floss 010271 Harvest Gold, 010343 Cayenne Pepper, 01042 Desert Sunset, and 01043 Fantasy Island; size 22 Tapestry Needle, and a Glaciart 1cm Wool Felt Ball (color will vary in each kit).
A word about our process for the canvas: after creating the design, we made a silk screen and printed the lines on the canvas. I was able to completely cover the lines with the stitching. We used a thermoreactive ink, which will go from the black on the canvas to almost invisible (we could still see a very faint image with our testing). This is irreversible; once the ink is heated it won’t go back to black again. The best heat source was a regular iron, although we also test a hair dryer and a small seam pressing iron as well. Hopefully your stitching will cover the lines as well and you won’t need to use the heat process.
The acorns were fun to do! The felt ball was cut in half, then stitched over to give the acorn its rounded shape. Don’t be afraid – full instructions for exactly how to do this are included!
About this year’s Kit of the Month:
- Each design is a counted canvas needlepoint design, some with line drawn canvas
- Each design finishes to a 4″ x 4″ square
- Finishing instructions are included with the stitching instructions
- Purchase only the projects you want – each kit will be available through the year, not just in the month released
- New projects release close to the first of every month
- Projects are complete kits – canvas, threads, embellishments, needles (stretcher bars not included but you’ll need the same size for each project, 2 pairs of 8″ stretcher bars)
- Each project is a stand alone project
Heidi (verified owner) –
I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series! thank for you offering them.