A sonata is a musical composition, usually for a solo instrument or a small instrumental ensemble, that usually has two to four sections, each in a related key but with a unique musical character.
Sonata features several different textures and fibers (cotton floss, pearl cotton, metallics, rayon ribbon, and silk/metallic braids) in an analogous color scheme. Large Jessicas form the center of the design, surrounded by several areas that are the same, but stitched with different colors.
Adding to the texture are a wide variety of stitches: waffle, layered Jessicas, double fan doubled, mistake pinwheel (challenging!), sprat’s heads, Amadeus, honeycomb, Victorian step, Bargello, crescents, Rhodes, and mosaic.
What will you learn?
- Learn how to start and stop threads using pin stitches and loop starts, useful for every stitching project
- Emphasis is on developing a natural stitching rhythm, so you can stitch with more ease and enjoyment
- Lots of interaction with Debbie and other students in the class – we learn from each other!
We feature Sonata in two color schemes – Cool, with blue, green, purple and aqua on Antique Blue canvas, or Warm, with red, orange, yellow and magenta on Victorian Red canvas. An additional color scheme, Neutral, is included in the instructions but not available as a kit at this time.
- 18 ct. mono deluxe canvas (Victorian Red or Antique Blue) with taped edges, cut size 14″ x 14″
- Caron Collection Watercolours
- DMC #8 pearl cotton
- DMC cotton flosses
- DMC Satin Floss
- Kreinik #8 Braids
- Rainbow Gallery Silk Lame’ Braid
- Rainbow Gallery Neon Rays
- Rainbow Gallery Flair
- Size 22 tapestry needles
Students will need 2 pairs of 14″ stretcher bars, tacks or staples, usual stitching supplies, and a laying tool.
Design size is 144 x 144 stitches on 18 ct. mono canvas, about 8″ x 8″ square
Recommended for stitchers very comfortable with counting and reading charts; if you’re new to counted canvas we’ll help you every step of the way.
Our online class includes:
- Weekly Zoom sessions on Thursday mornings at 10 a.m. US Central time zone; Zoom sessions are a bonus and not essential for taking the class. All Zoom sessions will be recorded and added to a private showcase for class members only.
- Weekly lessons posted with diagrams
- Video stitch demonstrations
Weekly lessons and Zoom sessions will provide additional information, and face-to-face time allows the opportunity to ask questions. Printed charts and instructions come with your kit.
Important class dates for Sonata:
- Registration open now and continues until start of class
- Anticipated class start date is October 6, depending on timely shipment of supplies from the various manufacturers
- Class is scheduled to conclude after 6 sessions, approximately November 10
- Kits will be sent hopefully mid September, depending on when we receive the supplies
Options for Sonata:
- Full kit, either color way – includes canvas, all threads, needles, instruction book; access to videos and Zoom sessions, class participation; all class fees and postage – $245 (anticipated shipping mid-September)
- Chart with canvas – includes canvas, instruction book; access to videos and Zoom sessions, class participation; all class fees and postage – $120 (should ship immediately)
- Chart only – includes instruction book; access to videos and Zoom sessions, class participation; all class fees and postage – $105.00 (ships immediately)
- Audit – for those who have previously taken Sonata in another venue, nothing will be sent; includes access to videos and Zoom sessions, class participation – $40
Supplies have been ordered for a limited number of each color way, so order promptly to insure your choice!