Sonata progress continued

With the Amadeus stitches sorted out, I worked on some background stitches.

Sonata Bargello

I really loved the Bargello as I was stitching it, and was very tempted to leave parts of the pattern unstitched since I loved the shape it was creating. But I went ahead and evened it out. I think I’ll make the suggestion when I teach it that parts of it can be left unstitched if the students like the shapes as much as I did.

I also added some Victorian step pattern between the Amadeus stitches. This is one of my favorite background stitches, because it conveys movement with straight stitches. I used floss and satin floss for the background, to add texture without adding too much color.

It’s coming along, the end is in sight!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

More progress on Sonata

I’m making steady progress on Sonata. I’ve added the Amadeus stitches around the filling stitch I came up with.

Sonata progress pictures amadeus

I loved these Amadeus stitches! I’ve stitched other Amadeus shapes before. This is the first time I’ve used this shape, with an opening in the center, and I love the way it looks!

Sonata progress pictures amadeus closeup

I stitched these with pearl cotton as a contrast to the shiny metallic filling stitch, and because I like using pearl cotton for the stitches that use a lot of thread like these.

We’re progressing steadily, on to some background stitches next.

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Sonata – 5

Back to work on Sonata. In my original thoughts for the design I had several stitches that left open holes, like an Amadeus and crescents, and I decided to fill the holes with stitches to avoid open canvas. My first thought on filling the holes in the Amadeus stitches was a tear drop crescent, but that has a hole in it too. I modified the crescent to overstitch the hole, but decided I didn’t like the texture – too raised on the edges, and it just looked weird to me. I’ll probably further develop what I was working on for that stitch for later projects because I think there may have been promise for the stitch, it just didn’t suit what I wanted for this project.

So I kept the outside shape that I developed, but reworked the stitch. This is the result:

honeycomb stitch

The outside shape nicely fills the hole in the Amadeus, but is still fairly flat.

This is what it looks like stitched:

honecomb stitch Kreinik

I’ll show you what it looks like with the Amadeus around it later. For now, here’s a little bit about how I developed the stitch.

Working out a new stitch isn’t just about finding the shape and texture you want, you also have to make sense of the stitching of it. I like stitches that don’t require constantly looking back and forth at the diagram, so that stitching is easier. For this stitch, I had to make a couple of stabs at it before I worked out a reasonable stitching order, that would have the look I wanted.

For now I’m calling it a honeycomb stitch, but I’m not sure that’s the final name for it. It looks like lattice, but there are other lattice stitches and I want to avoid confusion in the naming of it. I’ll continue to give it some thought, to see what makes sense and is descriptive of the stitch.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Sonata – 4

Continuing on with Sonata. More stitches, this time sprat’s heads between the double fan doubleds and the waffle stitches.

Sonata progress 4

And that leads to a wish for a different thread. I wanted to use a ribbon for the sprat’s heads. My go to is Neon Rays, but since these were right up against other stitches with Neon Rays I wanted to use a different texture. That left sparkly ribbons like FyreWerks or Neon Rays Plus, or nylon ribbons like Flair. I didn’t want to use Flair because I needed the ribbons to be more contained, not spread out like Flair sometimes does. And I didn’t really want to use sparkly ribbons because I didn’t want that texture. That left me wondering what other ribbons are available.

Silk ribbons are quite common in needlework, in various widths. For this application I thought the silk ribbons wouldn’t suit either. For one, it would have to be 2mm ribbons, and I don’t have access to a good selection of 2mm silk ribbons. Plus the texture is still shiny.

That left me wanting something that I don’t think exists, a woven cotton ribbon in widths like Neon Rays and Neon Rays Plus. Does anyone make any? And are they available in a wide range of colors? So far as I know, such a woven cotton ribbon doesn’t exist, something that would give the right color and texture without adding shine.

So I decided to use FyreWerks, since I had it in the colors I wanted to use. Not the most ideal choice but I think it will do.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Sonata – 3

Making progress on Sonata. I’ve added mistake pinwheels in between the waffle stitches.

Sonata progress 3

Mistake pinwheels are interesting Jean Hilton stitches. It’s worked from the outside in, pulling the previous stitches toward the middle. In theory it’s like a herringbone stitch, kind of a reverse herringbone square:

IMG_0600A herringbone square is built from the inside out, so all the stitches get gradually longer and lay outside of the previous stitches. In a mistake pinwheel, the stitches get gradually shorter, and lay inside of previous stitches.

It’s a devilish little stitch. As the stitches get shorter, it becomes harder to see where to put the needle to begin and end stitches, and requires some manipulation to get the needle where it needs to go. But the end result is definitely worth it. And I love it in the overdyed thread, because most of the color changes occur on top of the canvas, where you can see the changes better.

More progress tomorrow!

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment